I am happy to have you here in class! Our class will be lively with a lot of interactions with other students. You will learn a lot and also have fun while doing so. I promise!
Please come to class on time.
- If you need to come late enter the room quietly and take your seat without disrupting others.
The attendance policy requires students to attend classes a minimum of 2 days.
- If a student cannot make this commitment he/she will be dropped and put on the waiting list.
- If you are going to be absent please call and leave a message or text me using the Remind Application.
- If you are sick please stay home to take care of yourself and to prevent other classmates from getting sick. Just leave a message that you will be out.
- Sharpen pencils before class, or during break time. Please do not sharpen pencils during class time. It is disruptive to others.
- One of the keys to success is to participate in class – please come to class prepared to participate in classroom activities, and to work with other students.
- The school policy is no cell phone use during class.
- Cell phones are a big disruption in the classroom not only to other students but the teacher as well.
- Check your phones during break time or before or after class.
- You may use your cell phones during break time in the classroom only.
- Please do not use phones in the hallways or bathrooms because other classes are in session.
- During class times I occasionally take pictures of students working in class and will add them to our class website.
- In each class we will focus on Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
- Every morning I will write what the day's objectives are and will request that you write these objectives in your notebooks with that day's date. There will be other things during the class that I will ask you to write in your notebook. Please keep an organized notebook.
- If you miss a class please ask a classmate if you can copy their notes for the day or days you were absent.
- Ask your teacher, Deb for any handouts or homework assignments that you missed.
- Please complete the activities on your own time and review the answers with a classmate.
Name Cards and Seat-work:
- Every morning when you enter the classroom please take your name card. In addition, I will have a handout activity on the desk with the name cards. Please take a copy of the activity and take a seat and work on this assignment. You can choose to work on the assignment alone or with another student.
Class Web Site: http:// missdebsclasses.weebly.com
- During our computer lab time I will help you get familiar with our class web site and all the extra resources it offers.
- Ventures 3 (published by Cambridge University Press)
- Ventures is a user friendly series with the emphasis on using natural language in meaningful life situations.
- Ventures supports learner persistence and helps build a community for students within the classroom.
- Your text book, Ventures, also has a website, Ventures Arcade, with additional activities for each unit.
- You can access Ventures Arcade on our class website.
- We are level three (green) I will assign Venture Arcade assignments when appropriate.
Easy English News
- Is a monthly newspaper created by expert ESL writers for intermediate level adult English Language Learners.
- Readers will build English vocabulary and reading skills while they learn about the current news of interest.
- Each monthly issue will contain civics information, survival skills, events and holidays of the current month, health, safety, consumer awareness, idioms, crossword puzzles and discussion questions.
- You will be able to keep your monthly copy of this newspaper.
- Each week we will have computer lab time and I will be giving assignments to complete during the lab time.
- MONDAYS 9:00-10:10 and Wednesday 9:00-10:10.
Class Web Site
- Please remember to check our class web site.
- I have included additional web sites that you can use to improve your English. Anywhere you have Internet access you can get onto our class website. http://missdebsclasses.weebly.com
- Is a web based program we will use during computer lab time.
- It is a site for adults to improve English speaking, pronunciation, listening, reading, spelling, writing and grammar.
- It is a great way to improve your English online by watching videos and completing educational activities.
- In class I will help you create a username and password for this site.
- What is really nice about this site is that is saves your work, gives you a score, and you can use this site anywhere you have access to the Internet.
Maevis Beacon Typing
- Is an application software program for teaching touch typing.
- You cannot access Maevis Beacon at home. You can buy it at places like Wal-Mart and load it onto your own personal computer. I believe you can purchase it for about $30.
- Under the Website Tab I have included some free touch typing websites that you can use at home over the Internet to practice you typing skills.
- During the year if you are enrolled in the Careers for the 21st Century Class you will learn some basics about Microsoft Word which is a word processing program.
Careers for the 21st Century
- This is an additional class offered which I teach Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 11:30-12:30 in our classroom and the computer lab from 9-12.
- It is a class designed to learn valuable job readiness and computer skills.
- I have an additional flyer that I will pass out to you.
- You can also look under the tab Careers for the 21st Century for additional information.